Friday 11 December 2015

Review: I'll Give You the Sun by Jandy Nelson

I'll Give You the SunTitle: I'll Give You the Sun by Jandy Nelson
Publication: April 2nd 2015 by Walker Books
Genre: Young Adult, Contemporary
Pages: 429
Format: Paperback
Source: Purchased
Rating: 3/5 Stars

Synopsis:
From the author of The Sky Is Every­where, a radiant novel that will leave you laughing and crying - all at once. For fans of John Green, Gayle Forman and Lauren Oliver. Jude and her twin Noah were incredibly close - until a tragedy drove them apart, and now they are barely speaking. Then Jude meets a cocky, broken, beautiful boy as well as a captivating new mentor, both of whom may just need her as much as she needs them. What the twins don't realize is that each of them has only half the story and if they can just find their way back to one another, they have a chance to remake their world.



Review:

I bought this book this summer as I had seen many Booktubers talking about how absolutely amazing it was and how it was there new favourite book. So of course I had to go and buy it for myself when I saw it on offer!

I think I shall just jump right in about how I feel about this book and judging from the reviews I have been reading on Goodreads I seem to be in the minority on this one..but I didn't find this book that good. If I was to describe this book in one word that word would be, MEH...(that's not even a word) I mean this book wasn't all bad but it wasn't what I was hoping for really.

I felt like I could relate to Noah and Jude the main characters in this book in some ways as Noah and Jude are twins and I myself have a twin brother (random fact about me). This book is not exactly split into chapters but there is sections where you follow Jude's point of view and sections in Noah's point of view, each time at different stages of their life as they both deal with their teen years and the loss of a family member in their own separate ways. I found that if I had to pick out of the two I would say I enjoyed Noah's point of view more as I found it less confusing to read, if you have read the book you probably know what I am talking about because in the book the character of Jude has a weird obsession with ghosts, superstitions and the ghost of her dead Grandma and you can even imagine at times this can be a very confusing combination to read. (I hope I explained that ok)

Sometimes I think I don't enjoy certain books because I just don't get all the in-depth metaphors and lines with deeper meanings and all that jazz....so if your like me this book didn't have a very gripping plot it just kind of sauntered along, yes I found Jude's and Noah's various relationships to be slightly intriguing but I think at that point I was clinging to anything remotely interesting to keep my attention on the book.

Like I said before and I think it is good to bring up as I did start this blog to promote real, honest reviews from a teens perspective and for a teen like me I felt the writing style in this book is very unique which isn't a bad thing but it can be hard for some people my age to wrap their head around, you know what I mean? And I felt the lack of a proper plot made it very boring at times.

I won't end this review on a bad note though, I think if you like reading unique writing styles and books that really make you think about the meaning of things and...if you really like art  I think you will really like this book. As I said I am in the minority for this one and a lot of people think it is amazing! So give it a go you may like it you might not! That's all I have for now if you read this book I would like to here your opinions on it in the comments below.

Rating:






No comments:

Post a Comment

Navigation-Menus (Do Not Edit Here!)